Friday, July 24, 2009

Strangers are friends in moments of solidarity



Strangers are to be treated suspiciously. At least that's the practical advise every responsible adult gives to kids. But sometimes moments of solidarity turn strangers into friends. Those might be rare moments, for one can never be too careful these days though.


Had the strange experience of being in solidarity with a stranger just yesterday. I've never met him before even though I've been using the same library to do my work for a few days. We happened to have to use the same working area because all the other desks next to power points were occupied. We exchanged smile. He asked politely if I'd be kind enough to plug his laptop power for him since the point was within my reach. "Sure", I said. Then we went to work companionably in silence. Hours later he asked me if I'd be able to watch his laptop for him while he went to get some lunch. Which I gladly did. When he came back, I left my laptop for him to care for while I went to make an important long-distance call. The weird thing was, I didn't say a word asking him to mind my laptop. He just understood and did it for me. At the end of the day, he asked me again if he could bother me again, unplugging his power point, which of course I gladly did.

Looking back, it felt strange to simply believe in a stranger. But that was exactly what I did....what he did. I guess that's what solidarity is all about.

1 comments:

azamain on August 6, 2009 at 10:00 PM said...

strange things happens at times,unexpectedly.

 

Blogging Life...TataJane Copyright © 2010